What is phenol formaldehyde resin? Phenolic resins are divided into two: Resolsinol and novalak. Resol resins are formed by polycondensation of phenol, formaldehyde and urea in alkaline environment.
These resins have many areas of use. It is resistant to water. It is used in the production of marine-type plywood, building molds in construction sites, in the production of glass and stone wool used for insulation on the exterior surface of buildings and apartments, in the production of OSB, in the production of laminate and decorative laminate, in impregnation of kraft paper, in the casting industry, in foam production, in insulation materials and in many other areas.
HOW IS PHENOL FORMALDEHATE RESIN MADE?
Condensation takes place in three stages. First, methylol phenols are formed by the participation reaction of phenol and formaldehyde. Then, water is separated from methylol phenols and a substance called ether is formed. Water and ethylene foams are formed. These foams are formed by formaldehyde separation. Condensation occurs as a result. These resins are molded under heat and pressure.
PHENOL FORMALDEHYDE FORMULA
Formaldehyde, also called formalin, is a colorless, clear liquid chemical agent. Formaldehyde consists of hydrogen, carbon and oxygen atoms. It’s an organic compound. The aqueous solution is similar to the syrup and its consistency is slightly intense. The phenol formaldehyde is formulated with the chemical formula CH2O. Its normal state is in gas. It is liquefied through processing. 37% solution is created and used for commercial purposes. Its Density is 0.8153 g/cm3
It is also used as disinfectant in medical laboratory environment. It is also used in the production of certain drugs. It can also destroy germs and bacteria. It is used in:
- Kerosene heaters
- Cigarette smoke
- Many adhesives
- Room sprays in most of our homes
- Cleaning products
- Cosmetics, that are essential for women, and
- Furniture items.
PHENOL FORMALDEHYDE’S DAMAGES
Damages caused by this substance used in most areas must also be known. One should be more careful accordingly and take the necessary precautions. The damages are as follows:
- Vapor or gas from the substance irritates and itches the eyes. It also causes watering of eyes. It causes serious eye damage.
- It causes nasal blockage. Therefore, people working with this gas must wear a shield mask.
- It causes a tickling and burning sensation and pain in the throat.
- Nausea and vomiting
- Asthma crises, people with asthma should definitely stay away from this substance.
- Gases entering the nose can cause snoring.
- Skin rash, skin irritation.
- Severe pain at the head
- Continuous feeling of being sleepy and continuous fatigue feeling
- The biggest and most dangerous risk is cancer.
PHENOL FORMALDEHYDE GLUE
Glues, known as matrix structures, are reinforced with wood to form glue. Phenol formaldehyde glue properties:
- No defects in wooden materials
- Resistance to biotic and abiotic damages
- Affordable production
- Rapid production
- High strength
- Giving aesthetics